Tuesday, April 11, 2023

A Spectator: A Basketball Write-up

 A spectator is defined as a person who watches at a show, game, or other event. 

Over the last few weeks, I was able to be a spectator and got to see a series of basketball games within our church community. With that, I was asked to cover and take pictures of the games.

 

Initially, I was really hesitant to do it because I know that it will take much of my time, whether it will be my rest day or just before my shift starts. But to my surprise, I was able to enjoy the whole process of taking pictures and going through the post processing.

 

Throughout the weeks that I was a spectator of the basketball games, I was able to learn a lot of things.

 

As a spectator, you only see the actual games itself. But behind those games, are hours and hours of preparation and practice that the teams are investing into. Everyone has a goal to be a champion of this year’s season.


They do invest their time and effort to practice for each game. I may not be able to see it, but I can feel the passion they are putting into every game. 


I was reminded by the words of the Apostle Paul when he was writing a letter to the people of Corinth.

 

24 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

(1 Corinthians 9:24-27 ESV)


Each player has their own purpose, and that includes to win the top prize. But in any tournament, there could only be one winner. However, as followers of Christ, I know that they are all doing this to give glory to God. 


I admire each player for showing sportsmanship, dedication, commitment and humbleness despite how tight their schedule is, juggling their time with family, work and ministry.


On the other side of the court, I can see some of their family and friends cheering them on and that gives them a boost of confidence in each game they face. Support, in any form, can go a long way especially to the one you are supporting. 

 

To sum it up, I learned that:

  • Preparation is the key if you want to succeed in the endeavors you want to pursue or in the things you want to achieve. 

  • Support someone in any form you can. It goes a long way. 

  • Remember how and why you started. 


Until then, I will continue to watch others succeed and celebrate with them because I know that in His proper time I will be celebrating my victories and seeing my own success unfold.


No comments:

Post a Comment